The University of Virginia is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for pregnancy, childbirth, lactation, and related medical conditions for students, faculty/staff, and third parties, such as applicants or employment or admission to the University. The University prohibits discrimination on the basis of pregnancy, which includes refusing to grant a reasonable request for accommodation unless such accommodation would impose an undue hardship.
Pregnancy Accommodations for Faculty And Staff
For information about resources/contacts, lactation rooms, childcare at the University, paid parental leave policies for faculty and staff, and planning information for faculty and staff, please visit the Pregnancy and Parenting Resources page.
WORKPLACE ACCOMMODATION PROCEDURES: Procedures for current UVA Academic and UVA Medical Center employees
Questions about workplace accommodations for pregnancy, childbirth, and related conditions can also be directed to University's Office for Equal Opportunity and Civil Rights (EOCR) at UVAEOCR@virginia.edu or (434) 924-3200.
Pregnancy Accommodations for Students
UVA prohibits discrimination against students, or exclusion of students from their education program or activity, including any class or extracurricular activity, based on the student’s pregnancy, childbirth, false pregnancy, termination of pregnancy, or recovery.
Your rights as a pregnant or parenting student include:
Classes and School Activities
- Continued participation in classes and extracurricular activities while pregnant.
- Reasonable accommodations, such as a larger desk, elevator access, or the ability to make frequent trips to the restroom, when necessary because of pregnancy.
Excused Absences and Medical Leave
- Reasonable Modification of Course Attendance Policy due to pregnancy or childbirth for the time period documented as necessary by the student’s physician.
- Return to the same academic and extracurricular status as before the student’s medical leave, including the opportunity to make up any work missed during the student’s leave.
- Any special services provided to students with temporary health conditions.
Information about Accommodations: Pregnancy and Parenting Resources for Students