- 2018-19 Academic Year Reports of Student-Targeted Bias-Related Incidents
- OAAA - Black History Month 2019
- Important Information Regarding Academic Religious Accommodations for Students
- UVA LSA and ALC Reports -- EOCR's Response Efforts
- Message in Support of the UVA Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Community
- Resources for a Resilient UVA Community
- Summary Reports of Responses to Reports of Sexual and Gender-Based Harassment (2015-2017)
- 2017 Sexual Assault Campus Climate Survey Results
The mission of the University's Office for Equal Opportunity and Civil Rights (EOCR) is to ensure equal opportunity and to protect the civil rights of all University community members through proactive outreach, education, and effective response and resolution. EOCR supports a living, learning, and work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment and where all members of the UVA community feel welcomed and valued.
In furtherance of the University's commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, EOCR staff are responsible for the following activities:
- Affirmative Action: developing and monitoring the University's Affirmative Action Plan.
- Compliance: monitoring the University and Medical Center's compliance with equal opportunity and civil rights laws and related University policies, as well as assisting with responses to inquiries from federal and state governmental agencies, such as the Equal Opportunity Employment Commission and the Office for Civil Rights of the U.S. Department of Education.
- Complaint Resolution: investigating and/or otherwise resolving complaints of discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation.
- Information: disseminating information about laws, policies, and procedures regarding equal opportunity and civil rights laws and related University policies for students, faculty, staff, and Medical Center employees.
- Recruitment and Hiring: facilitating and monitoring faculty and staff recruitment and hiring and training faculty and staff regarding applicable laws and best practices for search and hiring processes.
- Training: training faculty, staff, students, and Medical Center employees about their rights and responsibilities under applicable equal opportunity and civil rights laws and related University policies.
- Partnership: collaborating with University and Medical Center partners, including students, to support initiatives and activities that promote a welcoming, inclusive environment for everyone.
In an effort to reflect the language diversity of the University community and their families, EOCR is in the process of translating the University policies it is responsible for. EOCR will be posting the translated policies to this website and the University policy directory. In the interim, those who need assistance with translations of EOCR-related policies, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and put "Translation Request" in the subject line.
IF THIS IS AN EMERGENCY OR YOU WISH TO REPORT A CRIME IN PROGRESS, OR AN ACT OR THREAT OF VIOLENCE, PLEASE CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY BEFORE TAKING OTHER ACTIONS.
Report an Incident
Faculty, students, staff, employees, and third parties may report an incident of bias, hazing, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, intimate partner violence, stalking, sexual or gender-based harassment, complicity, or retaliation using Just Report It, the University's online incident reporting system.
Report a Barrier
Faculty, staff, students, employees, and third parties may report a barrier to access for individuals with disabilities to the University's programs, activities, and services by using Report a Barrier, an online reporting tool.
File a Complaint
Any members of the University community who feel that they have been subjected to discrimination, including harassment, in violation of the University's non-discrimination and equal opportunity policy statement may file a complaint with EOCR. For more information, see the link below or call (434) 924-3200.
Respect at UVA
The University encourages every member of our community to promptly report any instance of abuse or mistreatement of anyone by University personnel, including workplace bullying, to appropriate supervisors, unit heads, department managers or deans. You may file a Respect@ complaint with the Human Resources Respect@UVa Coordinator. Please visit the Respect@UVa website for additional information.
Notice of Non-Discrimination and Equal Opportunity Statement
The University of Virginia does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information, in its programs and activities as required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, the Governor’s Executive Order Number One (2018), and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Virginia prohibits sexual and gender-based harassment, including sexual assault, and other forms of inter-personal violence. You can read the full statement at Notice of Non-Discrimination and Equal Opportunity.